[Smt-talk] Structure of intervals

Thomas Noll noll at cs.tu-berlin.de
Sun Sep 18 04:30:09 PDT 2011

This is just a side remark to this subject: The idea of a slow-motion
performance of the idealized superposition of elementary oscillations
underlies an exhibit in the Mathematics Museum of Dresden:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tnjfxxbx9ys

It is inspired by an instrument and a composition "Galileo" by Tom
Johnson. In this exhibit the tubes are tuned in the same frequency
ratios as the pendulums. I can confirm that every constellation of
pendulums out of the five (12 : 15 : 16 : 18 : 24) poses quite a
different task to the player and every "chord" contributes to a
different source for making mistakes. (But that's an ethical issue
rather than an esthetical one...)
Sincerely
Thomas Noll

Thomas Noll
http://user.cs.tu-berlin.de/~noll
noll at cs.tu-berlin.de
Escola Superior de Musica de Catalunya, Barcelona
Departament de Teoria i Composició