[Smt-talk] Debussy Preludes analyses

Olli Väisälä ovaisala at siba.fi
Mon Sep 19 22:30:48 PDT 2011

> Since I have not recieved any replies to my query concerning
> analytical literature for Ibert, I will broaden my question.  Does
> anyone know of any especially good analytical literature on
> Debussy's Preludes? Any suggestions concerning analytical
> literature for Debussy are appreciated, however, I am particularly
> interested in the Preludes.  Please reply to
> williamwaldroup at my.unt.edu

As William asked for "especially good analytical literature on
Debussy's Preludes," I hope it is not too boastful to recommend some
of my own papers:

(1) "New Theories and Fantasies on the Music of Debussy: Post-Triadic
Prolongation in Ce qu'a vu le vent d'ouest and Other Examples." In
Selected Essays from the Third International Schenker Symposium, ed.
Allen Cadwallader. Hildesheim: Georg Olms, 2006.

(2) Containing an analysis of Voiles: "Prolongation of Harmonies
Related to the Harmonic Series in Early Post-Tonal Music". Journal of
Music Theory Vol. 46 (2002), 207–283.

(3) On another piano work: "On the Coordination of Tonal Functions,
Pitch Sets, Meter, and Form in L'Isle joyeuse by Debussy." In A
Composition as a Problem: Proceedings of a conference on music
theory, Tallin, May 16-17, 1996, ed. Mart Humal. Tallinn: Eesti
Muusikaakademia, 1997.

(There are several more, but they are in Finnish, which some of you
may not know well enough... ;-)

With best regards,

Olli Väisälä
Sibelius Academy, Helsinki