[Smt-talk] THEORY TEXTBOOKS

Salley, Keith ksalley at su.edu
Thu Apr 26 11:30:11 PDT 2012

Interesting post. I'd like to share several thoughts on this.

1) On one hand, I agree that textbooks have gotten too large. For this
reason, our undergrads use the Benjamin, Horvitt, Nelson 'Techniques and
Materials of Music.' It's quite thin. It basically reads like well-written
lecture notes, and the students seem to be getting the gist rather well. We
have a separate anthology for analysis (regular music majors use the B.H.N.
'Music for Analysis,' and our musical theatre students use a selection of
Hal Leonard Anthologies). Instructors have the freedom to choose the
excerpts that they feel best represent the topics.

2) Regarding excerpts: My own undergraduate experience was at the
University of Memphis (then Memphis State), where we used John Bauer's
'Music Theory Through Literature.' Like the Paul Cooper text, it had a
historical approach. Unlike the Cooper text, each chapter focused on two or
three complete works. It took us from plainchant and organum through
Penderecki and Crumb in two years. We generally learned through analysis.
Part writing was done, but not emphasized. It occurred more often in the
form of harmonic dictations in Aural Skills class, if I remember correctly.

3) Stephen, I regret that I'm unfamiliar with the Tchaik text. But judging
from the title, I'd bet that it focuses solely on harmony. Does it begin at
the beginning, or assume that the student already knows counterpoint? Any
talk of form? Motivic development? It is tempting to construct our courses
solely around harmonic concepts, but shouldn't there be more to teach in
today's music theory course than simply harmony?

4) Dmitri, I suppose many of us have considered writing our own books. I've
often wished that texts had a chapter on basic analysis (guidelines,
general principles). Too often, I encounter students who can do the
part-writing, but still cannot decipher a score.

This is really too interesting a post for this time in the term! I must
return to grading...

Keith Salley
Coordinator of Music Theory
the Shenandoah Conservatory