[Smt-talk] Gravity (Was: Car names)

Thomas Noll noll at cs.tu-berlin.de
Wed Aug 1 14:21:29 PDT 2012

Dear Nicolas,

> You may be making too much of Jacques Handschin's ideas.

Handschins had a very wide historical perspective and his ideas were driven by his sharp awareness of open theoretical problems. His act of upgrading the line of fifths to a central music-theoretical concept is the main concern of his book "Der Toncharakter". Remarkably, it starts with a departure from its "boring" role as a vehicle for harmony teachers and piano tuners. At any rate Handschin's ideas really deserve to be reviewed. It is a different question, of course, whether our algebraic approaches go in the right direction.

> The fact is that a sharpward series of fifths in Pythagorean intonation does raise in pitch, by one Pythagorean comma after twelve steps.

That's a sophisticated perspective. With the same line of argument one could say that five sharpward fifths lower the pitch by a semitone, and that seven sharpward fifths raise it by an augmented prime. But the pitch height direction of those "commata" is not directly concerned with the pitch height directions of the scale steps themselves. It only measures their difference. My concern about directionality is more elementary.

>     In short, a mode is not a scale.

A mode relates the perfect fifth and perfect fourth to a species of the fifth and a species of the fourth. It further relates the perfect octave to the concatenations of the species of the fifth and the fourth. In the dorian mode, for example, the species of the fourth is Y = TST (Tone, Semitone, Tone) and the species of the fifth is X = TSTT, wherein the species of the fourth is a prefix, i.e. X = YT, with T playing the role the major step as well as the role of the diazeuxis.
The point where I might be making too much of Jacques Handschin's ideas is the construction of a "species of the major step" T = Y^(-1) X and a "species of the minor step" S = T^(-1)YT^(-1) = X^(-1)YYX^(-1)Y. Handschin doesn't deliberately distinguish between an ascending fifth and a descending fourth. These concepts seem to be algebraically motivated neologisms. But is this historically true? Schenker's "ausgeworfener Grundton" is quite close to that construction and maybe other theorists have also considered the five species of the semitone?

Sincerely
Thomas Noll

noll at cs.tu-berlin.de