[Smt-talk] Gravity (Was: Car names)

Nicolas Meeùs nicolas.meeus at paris-sorbonne.fr
Wed Aug 1 07:00:07 PDT 2012

You may be making too much of Jacques Handschin's ideas. The fact is
that a sharpward series of fifths in Pythagorean intonation does raise
in pitch, by one Pythagorean comma after twelve steps.
     Tonal music uses a majority of flatward R and L neo-Riemannian
intervals (also combined to produce flatward fifths). Sharpward
progressions usually restrict to P relations. And these flatward
progressions do push the pitch downwards.
     I don't understand what you call "modal tone relations" and my
feeling is that your conception of modality is far away from Handschin's
(or mine). But I should reread your MTO 17 paper, for which I lack time
just now. In short, a mode is not a scale.

Yours,
Nicolas Meeùs
Université Paris-Sorbonne