[Smt-talk] curved arrows

Trevor deClercq tdeclerc at u.rochester.edu
Thu Aug 2 04:50:42 PDT 2012

Giorgio,

I haven't encountered that issue, as I have used the slash notation (e.g., V/V) in the past to notate applied dominants.  But I can see preferring the other way, and certainly curved arrows would be useful in a variety of other situations.

It doesn't appear that curved arrows exist as stock objects in Sibelius (although I would be happy to learn I am incorrect).  Nevertheless, you could always "hack" a curved arrow by using a curved line (e.g., a slur from the "Lines" library) in tandem with an arrow head (as found in the "Symbols" library).  If you turn off magnetic layout on the arrow object and do some futzing with the line shape and location, you can get it to look pretty decent.  (It would certainly be easier with a dedicated object, though!)

Hope that helps,

Trevor de Clercq
Visiting Assistant Professor of Music Theory
Ithaca College
trevor.declercq at gmail.com
718-312-0747