[Smt-talk] Uncommon six-four chords

Solomon, Jason jsolomon at agnesscott.edu
Wed Feb 1 07:23:41 PST 2012

Friends,

I am seeking examples (from any style or time period, but preferably from
the common practice) of ii6/4 serving as a passing chord between V and V6,
with or without the seventh added either to ii (ii4/3) or to one or both
dominants. (I¹m not particularly interested in V4/3 of V.) I am assuming
that this progression is nonexistent in minor because of the +2 that would
occur in the bass; however, I wouldn¹t be shocked to find something like: V
- iio6/4 - v6 - V6.

I am also looking for instances of the leading-tone triad serving as a
neighbor (or, pedal) six-four to IV: IV -  viio6/4 - IV. Here, I am
primarily interested in either the leading-tone triad alone or one with a m7
added to produce the diatonic, half-diminished LT7. (The fully-diminished
LT7 in this context could be analyzed as a common-tone diminished seventh
chord, and I have plenty of examples of this).

Thanks in advance for any suggestions that you might have to offer!

Best wishes,
Jason

--
Jason W. Solomon, Ph.D.