[Smt-talk] Uncommon six-four chords

Gabe Fankhauser fankhauserg at appstate.edu
Thu Feb 2 06:42:40 PST 2012

Jason,

A simple example of a passing "ii64" may be found in m. 2 of Schumann's
"An Important Event"--A: V/V V (ii64) V65. Also note the "uncommon"
six-fours used in the Beatles' "Julia," in which the first is passing
(?) and the second serves syntactically (if that!) as a cadential
six-four--D: I  vi (iii64),  I  vi  (iii64) V  I.

SMT-Talk had a substantial (though hardly exhaustive) thread on six-four
chords last year:

http://lists.societymusictheory.org/pipermail/smt-talk-societymusictheory.org/2010-January/thread.html#652

Best,

Gabe

On 2/1/2012 10:23 AM, Solomon, Jason wrote:
> I am seeking examples (from any style or time period, but preferably
> from the common practice) of ii6/4 serving as a passing chord between
> V and V6, with or without the seventh added either to ii (ii4/3) or to
> one or both dominants...

Gabe Fankhauser, PhD
Associate Professor and Coordinator of Music Theory
Hayes School of Music, 813 Rivers Street
Appalachian State University
Boone, NC 28608-2096
Office:  828-262-6664