[Smt-talk] Perfect pitch and aging.

reinifrosch at bluewin.ch reinifrosch at bluewin.ch
Fri Feb 10 08:31:56 PST 2012

Dear colleagues,

In the paper "Dichotomy and perceptual distortions in absolute pitch ability", by E. Alexandra Athos et al., PNAS 104 (2007) 14795-14800, the authors have written: "[...] Indeed, we reason that an increase (not a decrease, as suggested by Vernon) in the elasticity [i.e., in the compliance] of the basilar membrane [BM] would be predicted to cause a displacement in the cochlear frequency map in the sharp direction. In this model, hair cells that formerly resonated for a given tone (e.g., E) and relayed that stimulus to the auditory cortex now respond at a lower frequency (e.g., D#). Because the hair cells that are triggered by this lower frequency remain hard-wired to relay a signal to a higher frequency recognition site in the auditory cortex, one perceives the tone at a higher frequency."

In other words: The BM stiffness is conjectured to decrease with age. I doubt, however, that the change of BM stiffness with age really explains the mentioned frequency-map shift. At frequencies above 1 kHz, the place of maximal excitation shifts apically by about 0.5 octave-distance (i.e., by about 2 mm) if the sound-pressure level is reduced from 100 dB to 30 dB. According, e.g., to Chapter 6 of the fifth edition of "An Introduction to the Psychology of Hearing" by B.C.J. Moore, the analysis of nerve-spike time intervals plays an important part in pitch perception.

Reinhart Frosch,
CH-5200 Brugg.
reinifrosch at bluewin.ch .