[Smt-talk] Perfect pitch and aging (not so much aging as water)

Brad Osborn webpine brad06 at u.washington.edu
Fri Feb 10 10:22:02 PST 2012

Dear colleagues,

First off, a disclaimer: while my post concerns distortion of AP, it
differs from the previous posts in that: it has nothing to do with aging,
and I would not consider myself to have anywhere near the degree of
absolute pitch others posting in this thread have reported. Furthermore, I
fully appreciate the sensitivity involved in comparing the following
situation to people who cannot simply reverse the effects of AP drift by
avoiding getting water in their ears. I am posing this question because I
wonder, given the physical explanations people have been providing, if
there could be a connection.

I swim laps most days, and about seven years ago I had a bizarre experience
of getting out of the pool, getting directly into my car, and putting on a
song I know extremely well. It was immediately apparent to me that the song
was approximately a half-step "flat" to my ears. It was cold that day, and
so I thought it might be due to some sort of slowing effect on my stereo,
and thought nothing of it. But, the next day I got out of the pool and went
directly home and picked up a dial-tone phone to make a call, and
experienced approximately the same amount of downward drift in pitch. I
then began noticing it everywhere.

As my sense of pitch got better over the years, I noticed this effect
nearly every time I got out of the pool and heard a sound with which I was
even vaguely familiar. It was not a major concern, since it wore off as
soon as I flushed the water out of my ears, or after I merely let it run
its course for a couple hours. However, since I started graduate school—and
thus had to begin teaching ear training—I started wearing earplugs when I
swam and this correction has stopped the drift completely. I now wear them
every time I swim laps and have never noticed the drift, but in random
summertime dips in the lake or ocean or such, when I do not have my
earplugs, I notice it consistently, so I am quite sure of the correlation.

Has anyone else experienced this, or know how it might be related to the
physiological effects of aging?

best,
Brad

Brad Osborn, Ph.D.
Visiting Assistant Professor, Music Theory
Rhodes College
BradThomasOsborn at gmail.com