[Smt-talk] Smt-talk Digest, Vol 37, Issue 5

Nicolas Meeùs nicolas.meeus at paris-sorbonne.fr
Wed Feb 8 08:03:24 PST 2012

Rick,

I am afraid we are evaluating these cases from the point of view of our
respective theories of tonality. Any argument that we could have would
aim at the validity of the theory, more than at the cases themselves. It
may therefore not be very wise to go any further...

I may agree that the C-minor chord in m. 7 of op. 39#15 is
Dominant-Parallel; in m. 8, it certainly transformed in
Tonic-Leittonwechsel, G remaining the common note until m. 9 (after
which it does at last resolve as the leading tone).  I think to hear G5
in m. 7 as a consonant skip above Eb5 and returning to it (probably
because I already hear the Fb7 chord of m. 6 as IV in C minor; the
downbeat of m. 7 could then be considered as an "inverted" V6/4). At any
rate, I fail to hear any tendency of G5 to climb to Ab5. (And my
distance hearing is not such that I can imagine tensions in m. 7
resolving in the next to last measure, m. 35 in my version of the score:
I can read that, but not hear it.)

Nicolas Meeùs
Paris-Sorbonne