[Smt-talk] Nature and Labeling of the Cadential Six-Four

Nicolas Meeùs nicolas.meeus at paris-sorbonne.fr
Sun Feb 12 10:34:48 PST 2012

Pierre Boulez, in /Penser la musique aujourd'hui/, complains about the
very principle of figuring which, he writes, remains less precise than
the score itself. This misunderstands the essential aim of analytic
figuring, which is to simplify the music in order to make it more easily
understood. In other words, a figuring cannot give a _full_ account of
what is happening, it always is a simplification. And the corollary is
that it would be pointless to read a figuring (or a Schenkerian graph,
or any such representation) without keeping an eye on the score.
     In the case of the ambiguous 6/4 dominant preparation, the analyst
cannot hope to convey the ambivalence with simple figures and, in
complex cases, only the score will express the full ambiguity. The
figuring chosen depends on what one wants to stress. If you want to
stress the "moment of occurrence" on the beat, you may write I6/4; but
if you want to draw attention to the overall meaning of the passage,
V6-5/4-3 will be better. In any case, the reader would be fool not to
consider the score itself, which says all.

Nicolas Meeùs
Université Paris-Sorbonne