[Smt-talk] Nature and Labeling of the Cadential Six-Four

Arthurs, Daniel Daniel.Arthurs at unt.edu
Sun Feb 12 11:23:23 PST 2012

Dear Dimitar and List,

In light of the recent discussion of six-four chord labeling, I have attached a simple progression with a not-so-simple conclusion: Does the progression represent a perfect authentic cadence, or a plagal cadence?  (It might be preferable at first to ignore my annotations/analysis so as not to sway one's hearing.)

Somehow I'm not completely satisfied with an either/or answer here.  To be sure, this progression doesn't show up very frequently and I apologize for not citing any specific instances in the literature, but I imagine there could be a (small) handful of progressions like this floating around.  Of course, dominant sevenths suspended over a tonic bass at a PAC are abounding (the "delayed tonic resolution").

To my ear the progression represents a PAC (with a clear dominant to tonic root motion) but with a special reference to the plagal.  Something like the Revolutionary etude comes to mind.

One labeling note: I teach the analysis of suspensions by placing them next to roman numerals and enclosing them in parentheses.  I continue this practice in the case of cadential six-fours and pedal six-fours.  This helps in part to separate triadic inversion from intervallic motion above a single bass.  Since this still may not be satisfying to those who prefer the identification of roots as in I6/4 to V, to each his/her own, I say.  When teaching cadential six-fours I summarize the debate and tell students to employ whichever label makes more sense to them.

-Danny

Daniel J. Arthurs, Ph.D.
Lecturer of Music Theory
Division of MHTE