[Smt-talk] Nature and Labeling of the Cadential Six-Four

Ninov, Dimitar N dn16 at txstate.edu
Sun Feb 12 12:28:21 PST 2012

Dear Daniel,

Thank you very much for bringing this issue up. Of course this occurs occasionally, and although we cannot immediately point  out to a specific source we have seen and heard that. Some musicians describe the last IV6/4 as another kind of cadential six-four, which occurs more rarely. Thus they explain that there are two types of cadential six-fours: 1) a six-four which has a tonic structure and dominant bass, and 2) a six-four which has a subdominant structure and a tonic bass. I have been educated in this manner many years ago. Formally this is correct, in the sense that these are incidentally formed chords, but let me tell you how I feel about your specific example.

Since after the arrival of V7, our only expectation is the tonic, anything which would appear instead of the tonic would bring surprise. Thus I feel the arrival of IV6/4 after V7 more as a tonic embellishment than as a separate chord. But this is not necessarily true about the typical cadential six-four; after the arrival of IV or II6 the only expectation is not necessarily V; occasionally I comes in, creating a nice plagal relationship. This is why I do not automatically explain the cadential six-four as a V chord, but as a bi-functional sonority - a conflict between T and D.

Having said all the above, I will not argue against the "plagal feel" in the end of your example, and if a student wants to label it as IV6/4-I, I would gladly accept it. Sometimes thing could be explained in more than one way, and I personally welcome different approaches that bring up the same truth.

I would be curious as of how you would feel about my attachment in my  previous posting.

Best regards,

Dimitar

Dr. Dimitar Ninov, Lecturer
School of Music