[Smt-talk] Nature and Labeling of the Cadential Six-Four

Ninov, Dimitar N dn16 at txstate.edu
Mon Feb 13 12:32:18 PST 2012

A wonderful point, Olli!

You wrote: "...the 6/4 is labeled as a I in a progression put in parentheses (=I–IV–V–I) above a V symbol" Only that the dominant does not usually resolve in a cadential six-four, but it must be a pedal six-four, or just a progression of several functions over a dominant bass? Since the list does not transmit attachments, I will have to ask for more information.

Let me joke about this: all routes lead to Rome, that is: a comprehensive examination of as many different occurrences of the cadential six-four as we can encounter will reveal the concept of a tonic over a dominant bass as an infallible description of this diversity.

Best regards,

Dimitar

Dr. Dimitar Ninov, Lecturer
School of Music