[Smt-talk] Fetis and Harmonic Functions

Ildar Khannanov solfeggio7 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 13 18:53:41 PST 2012

Dear Dimitar and the List,

discussion of tonal-harmonic functions is important. It is not a well-studied area, despite the fact that for centuries great theorists have been working in it. It is true that it makes sense to analyze tonal function of the dominant without having the leading tone in front of us, e.g., in the case of v. In general, voice leading is the effect, harmony is the cause. Often, voice leading does not follow the schoolbook rules but the flow of harmony saves the progression. Fetis suggests that the two chords have tonal harmonic functions independently of modifications and of the context of other chords. There is natural relationship of attraction; tonic represents rest and completion: dominant seventh--motion and attraction.

Example 1. Bach, Brandenburg Concerto no 6, slow movement, a theme:  Bb4-C5-D4-Eb4 etc.  In this phrase, the nucleus of a theme of a fugue, the scale steps are 5-6-7-1, with a leap down from C5 to D4. The only way Schenkerian dogma of Urlinie can connect these to notes is by interpreting them as "a chordal skip." However, the C5 is harmonized with Subdominant and D4--with the Dominant. There is no chordal skip here. It is truly a broken melody. Moreover, it does not fit into a clichee of descending fifth progression and tonic is approached not from above (scst2) but from below. I do not believe that 2-1 is "the most general case." Most trivial--probably. The most beautiful and musical soprano for D-T resolution is leading tone to tonic. So, what unites this ultimately broken and disorganized melodic line (voice leading nearing a disaster) is the smooth and logical progression of tonal functions T-S-D-Tp, which moves firmly as an oceanic wave and
 supports random notes of the melody.

Example 2. Beethoven, Appassionata, slow movement, a theme of variations. Again, melody is the worst ever: Ab4-Bb4-Ab4-Bb4-Ab4-Ab4-Ab4//Db5-Db5-Db5-Db5-Db5-C5-Db5! If any of your students will write a figured bass realization with a melody like that, I am sure it will deserve the D. However, Beethoven probably did this on purpose: we are listening to melody and often disregard harmony. In this case, we have no other choice than to focus on harmony and--truly--we discover noble beauty of these simple triads, T-S-T; S-D-T. Here, voice leading in soprano is poor, the functional flow of harmony is excellent.

Example 3. Rachmaninoff, Etude-tableau op 39, no 6, Little Red Riding Hood. The theme opens with a simple standard gesture, resolution of the Dominant into Tonic, just as we expected. Upon closer examination, we notice that Dominant is expressed here, in the key of A minor,  as a strange sonority, D#-A-B. It moves into Tonic, represented by the i6/4. The "Dominant" has two "leading tones," D# to E and B to C, but the Leading Tone proper, the G#, is missing! Dimitar mentioned Prokofiev's dominant (a B major triad in C major). This one is even more uncommon: the B seventh chord in first inversion with missing fifth, resolving into A minor six-four chord. No standard voice leading (and Schenker would be correct to say that), but plenty of harmony.

Example 4. Chopin, Scherzo No 1, three opening chords: ii4/3, V5/6 (two octaves lower!) and i5/3/. This progression can humiliate any voice-leading lover. There is simply no voice leading here: not only that the first two chords are separated by two octaves, but the choice of inversions, ii4/3 leading into V6/5 is horrible! Yet, every good musician immediately recognizes three main functions: S - D- T. Their flow is the most important: it is the opening gesture of a magnificent composition, like providing an initial count, One, Two, Three...

This is what I meant when I insisted on primary role of harmony in music.

Best,

Ildar Khannanov
Peabody Conservatory
Johns Hopkins University