[Smt-talk] truncated theory for Music BA

Ildar Khannanov solfeggio7 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 20 13:39:45 PST 2012

Dear Zae and Judd,

it seems to me that this topic is extremely important and, indeed, belongs "in the precincts of a learned society." I noticed long ago that large schools display their achievements while smaller schoold prepare students en mass. In this respect, whatever you choose to do will affect the condition of the field of music theory for the years to come.

It is difficult to fit a complete course of study of music theory into three semesters, let alone with the 20th-century component. Perhaps, teaching of the 20th-century materials can be delegated to an afternoon listening elective. I have tried that and it seemed to work. In your spare time and when the students are not busy, say, after 4pm, you take your PC, data projector, go to youtube or bring your own CDs and start listening together and discussing.

Teaching tonal practice requires a different type of pedagogy. It is better to follow the centennial tradition and teach by well-defined subjects, such as ear training, counterpoint, harmony and form. So, you can lump together elements of counterpoint and harmony (for your 2nd semester) and form and analysis for your 3rd semester. I would feel very sorry if the integrity of these disciplines is not retained. Students have the right to study a discipline, and not a fantasy of the instructor.
Good luck to both of you!

Best,

Ildar Khannanov
Peabody Institute