[Smt-talk] RN analyzers

Phillip Kirlin pkirlin at cs.umass.edu
Wed Feb 22 11:09:15 PST 2012

Dmitri,

I do not know any complete software packages that will do this, but I
can give you some pointers to where there might be one lurking.

I have read many papers about this problem and lots of approaches break
this down into two phases: first analyze the music to find chord labels
(in the sense of G major triad, D dominant seventh chord, etc) and where
they change, and then turn the labels into Roman numerals.  I believe
you will find much more material on the first phase than the second
phase, since I think the second phase turns out to be harder.

Here are some resources:

David Temperley. 2009. "A Unified Probabilistic Model of Polyphonic
Music Analysis." Journal of New Music Research 38, 3-18.  (This has
downloadable software, but it will only give you chord labels, no Roman
numerals)

C. Raphael and J. Stoddard Harmonic Analysis with Probabilistic
Graphical Models (ISMIR 2003) Computer Music Journal vol 28:3, 45--52,
2004.  (again, only score to chord labels, no Roman numerals)

B. Pardo and W. Birmingham "Algorithms for Chordal Analysis" 	Computer
Music Journal 	vol. 26 (2), pp. 27-49, 2002.  (no Roman numerals)

W. Bas de Haas, HarmTrace: Automatic functional harmonic analysis.
Technical Report UU-CS-2011-023 July 2011
Department of Information and Computing Sciences
Utrecht University, Utrecht, The Netherlands (this goes from chord
labels to Roman numerals)

All of these are available online.

I can probably come up with some more links, but the short answer is
that I don't know of a system that goes straight from score to Roman
numerals.  I know many people have evaluated systems using the
Kostka-Payne corpus [2] which does have Roman numerals.  I think the
KernScores or MuseData websites may have some data that's annotated with
Roman numerals, but I can't seem to find it at the moment.

Incidentally, I built one myself a few years back (I think it went from
musicxml to Roman numerals) but it wasn't especially intelligent (for
example, I don't think it distinguished between cadential six-fours and
"true" I(6/4) chords).

I'd be happy to talk more about this with you or your student, since my
area of research is computational music analysis, and I'm always looking
for more people who are into this stuff.

[1] http://www.ismir.net
[2] http://theory.esm.rochester.edu/temperley/kp-stats/index.html

--Phil

Phillip Kirlin