[Smt-talk] RN analyzers

Kris Shaffer kshaffer at csuniv.edu
Wed Feb 22 18:09:19 PST 2012

Dmitri,
Have you looked at music21? (mit.edu/music21) Once the music21 framework is installed, the following python script takes a Mozart quartet movement (in musicXML format) from the included corpus, converts it to a series of salami-slice chords, and returns both Roman numeral and common chord name for each new verticality. (Obviously, it can be augmented to include timing information, etc.)

from music21 import stream
from music21 import chord
from music21 import key
from music21 import roman
from music21 import corpus
piece = corpus.parse('mozart/k155/movement1.xml')
k = key.Key('d')
reduction = piece.chordify()
for c in reduction.flat.getElementsByClass('Chord'):
	print roman.fromChordAndKey(c,k), c

Combine with elements from the first example here:

http://mit.edu/music21/doc/html/examples.html#examples

and you can put the analysis directly on a score.

Myke Cuthbert, PI for music21, has told me that he has a team of students working on an improved counterpoint module that will detect passing tones, neighbor tones, and the like, with the goal of doing automated harmonic reduction. Depending on what your student has done, that also may make helpful comparison once it is released.

Kris Shaffer, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Music Theory
Charleston Southern University
http://kris.shaffermusic.com