[Smt-talk] Emotion and music

Charles J. Smith cjsmith at buffalo.edu
Fri Feb 24 07:47:59 PST 2012

One curious discrepancy to keep in mind. As Jonathan observes, human
emotions are startlingly complex, and can be bafflingly difficult to
categorize and pin down in meaningful ways. (Which is why people keep
writing novels, plays, films—telling new stories about how we interact
and the emotional benefit and damage we bring to each other.) But the
category words for emotions are relatively few in number—in English,
only a few dozen, perhaps a hundred or two at the very most—on a
completely different scale from the range of emotions themselves. Each
individual word, e.g. "sad", "happy", "grieving", "ecstatic", is
nothing more than a starting point for trying to understand an
emotional state. The only way that we really come to grasp or (dare I
say it) understand emotions is by telling stories...

Pieces of music display an equally bewildering number of "emotional"
profiles, for lack of a better term. Each is unique and special, just
as each person we encounter has a unique emotional profile at any
given moment. Perhaps we can understand pieces by telling stories
about them. Perhaps this is, in the end, all that music theorists
actually do—tell stories about pieces, some of them highly technical,
some of them not so technical.

But applying emotional category terms to pieces can't be more than a
starting point, and not even a particularly interesting starting point
at that. Given the virtually unlimited emotional range and potential
of music, and given the paltry emotional vocabulary available to us,
how could it be otherwise? Any sad piece is SO much more interesting
in its detail than the simple ascription of the single emotional term
would suggest...

CS

PS A further question: when I describe a passage as sad, am I
stipulating a property of the music or a property of my reaction to
it? Probably everyone who reads this list knows of Nelson Goodman's
unpacking of this distinction in his Languages of Art of 1968, but in
case this now almost-50-year-old-book (my emotional state on realizing
this is but dimly and feebly captured by a statement that I am
"shocked"!) has dropped below today's radar, let me call attention to
it.

On Feb 23, 2012, at 10:08 PM, Dunsby, Jonathan wrote:

> I wish I truly knew what you mean by 'emotion.' Human feelings seem
> to be incredibly complex. How do you know you're even asking
> meaningful questions about what happens when people need music?
>
> Pinning a word to an abstracted musical object seems, well, doubly,
> utterly weird, although music-cognition people do it all the time. I
> personally think they are fantasizing, but there we are.
>
> You carry on. Who knows what you may discover?
>
> You might find Naomi Cumming's The Sonic Self interesting, in its
> warnings about mentalist preconceptions?
>
> Jonathan
>
> ______________
> Jonathan Dunsby
> Chair, Music Theory Department
> Professor of Music Theory
> Eastman School of Music
>

> http://www.ithaca.edu/music/mtsnys/officers.html

Charles J. Smith
Slee Chair of Music Theory & Chair of the Department
Department of Music, 220 Baird Hall
University at Buffalo
Buffalo, NY 14260
U.S.A.