[Smt-talk] Subdominant versus Predominant

Ninov, Dimitar N dn16 at txstate.edu
Sat Feb 25 07:38:01 PST 2012

Dear Nicholas and Colleagues,

No one has all the answers concerning a particular aspect in music theory. However, I was not asking for advice in this discussion; I claimed with conviction that PD was theoretically unjustified, both at the level of paradigm and syntax. At the level of paradigm it depends on the tonic, and at the level of syntax it again depends on the tonic, for when a progression unfolds over time, the most important question which reflects the direction of the motion is "What follows X?". In this sense the initial start T-S exemplifies a departure from  the state of stability. Thus the inherent logic of the syntactic T-S-D-T sequence may be interpreted as: stability-instability-increased instability-stability. In this functional order over time (syntax) the contact point "instability-increased instability" does not matter so much as the points where stability meets instability and vice versa. Those who invented the label "PD" obviously did not think of all these implications; their goal has been to erase the subdominant function by transferring it to a non-existing "dominant paradigm" - just because Schenker must be always right.

Ildar's last message was very interesting, for it stressed the fact that in Schenker's notion a key has only two pillars - tonic and dominant. This is astonishing, for even in the V7-I progression the subdominant element is present (scale degree 4 in the structure of V7) which brings a new quality into the V chord -  the element that counterbalances the tendency of V to sound like a local tonic. So even in the V7-I resolution the third point of support, about which Ildar is talking, is present. A complete work, however, does not have a life without the S function fully explored.

As for the degree under the dominant; you seem to be talking about the hen and the egg here: the chord which is a fifth below the tonic is also one degree below the dominant. The main point in this discussion is that many of us are convinced that this chord is fully dependent on the tonal center - both paradigmatically, and syntagmatically; that it is neither a mere prolongation of I nor a mere preparation of V; and that its function constitutes the third pillar of tonality.

Thank you,

Dimitar

Dr. Dimitar Ninov, Lecturer
School of Music