[Smt-talk] Beethoven's Sonatas

nancygarniez at tonalrefraction.com nancygarniez at tonalrefraction.com
Fri Feb 24 14:08:35 PST 2012

Dear List:
A very wise piano teacher (Hans Neumann) alerted me to the extent to which words denoting expression are descriptive of the musical event itself not of anything extra-musical, whether an emotion or pictorial or poetic reference. An example was his likening of "espressivo" to "watch out" or "listen carefully." I find this advice to be deeply insightful as the extra attentiveness itself evokes a special state of mind in the player, thus in the listener.

An example I have observed is the term "agitato," generally taken to evoke a state of agitation. In my experience, particularly in the sonatas of Beethoven, it denotes the presence of a triple-meter undercurrent within the notated duple meter. Treating the meter as ambiguous in this way imparts an agitation far more difficult, more compelling and thus convincing than any attempt to conjure up (a la Harpo Marx) an enactment of agitation. I cite especially the Moonlight Sonata, last movement in which the right-hand sixteenth notes produce a powerful line when thus played, even more powerful because invisible to the conventionally-trained rhythmic sensibility.

Nancy Garniez

http://nancygarniez.blogspot.com
www.tonalrefraction.com