[Smt-talk] emotions, adjectives, and music - Messiaen

VINCENT PEREZ BENITEZ JR vpb2 at psu.edu
Sun Feb 26 12:01:49 PST 2012

Speaking as a "Messiaenista," Messiaen did not elaborate in any extensive way on Jonathan's point in print. I strongly suspect that such a remark might have been due to the intense criticism he received during the 1940s ("Le Cas Messiaen") for the commentaries that accompanied his works and the overly systematic nature of the Technique de mon langage musical. His penchant for using too many words in his music may stem not only from his concerns as a performer but also as a teacher of analysis and a composer-theologian sympathetic to Scholasticism (i.e., Aquinas); in other words, Messiaen wanted to ensure that every compositional technique, according to my dear friend Père Kars, contributed to the goal of revealing the splendor of God. Then again, in his recordings of his organ works, Messiaen didn't always practice what he preached.

Vincent Benitez
The Pennsylvania State University