[Smt-talk] Binary Bias in Metric Perception Studies

Gregory Karl gregkarl at frontier.com
Wed Feb 29 11:21:32 PST 2012

Michael,

I am pretty sure they meant "perceiving as" because the isochronous
clicks would be evenly spaced temporally and identical in every other
way. Under these conditions, perceived metric groupings could only be
subjective—at least that is how I parse the jargon-heavy prose:-)

I was hoping to differentiate between two kinds of hypotheses:

1) Duple preference based on bodily structure—Just as humans use base
ten because we (well, most of us) have ten digits on our hands, so
perhaps we prefer (most naturally hear, that is) binary metric
groupings because we have two legs(?).

2) Duple preference based on some aspect of perceptual or cognitive
processing.

Greg Karl
Jay NY