[Smt-talk] more on movable-do tradition in the U.S. and Great Britain

Carol Baron cbaron at ms.cc.sunysb.edu
Mon Jul 16 14:55:47 PDT 2012

Dear List,

With apologies for self-promotion, Charles Ives's education in the
movable-do tradition is discussed in my article "George Ives's Essay in
Music Theory: An Introduction and Annotated Edition" in /American Music
/10/3 (Fall 1992). It discusses his father's teaching of the Tonic
Sol-fa System, a movable do system, which George credits to the English
Congregationalist minister John Curwen (1816-80). A conductor, George
Ives used the Tonic Sol-fa System to teach just intonation to his
choruses, because he believed this tuning was more pleasing and
expressive for the diatonic music they usually sang. George Ives's work
was mentioned in the first issue of the bulletin of the American branch
of the Tonic Sol-faists in February 1882.

Curwen's system was extremely popular in Great Britain, where it was the
basis of a national system for teaching singing; its accomplishments
were touted in an1884 letter to the London /Times/: "At the most modest
estimate, during the 30 years our system has been at work, we have
taught at least the elements of music to four million persons." The
system fed into the impressive 19th-century English choral tradition and
its popular organization, whose publications of the works they sang
included solfège syllables above the musical staves.

Carol K. Baron
cbaron at ms.cc.sunysb.edu