[Smt-talk] more on movable-do tradition in the U.S. and Great Britain

Ildar Khannanov solfeggio7 at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 16 23:18:12 PDT 2012

Dear Carol and the List,

these are well-known facts. Congregational minister was a self-taught musician. The system was intended primarily for adult church choir members with little or no musical education. Just to hold on to seven scale steps when singing tunelets and to avoid sight singing at all costs. Charles Ives had nothing to do with tradition of tonal music which is discussed here. Nameless "English choral tradition" simply does not count when we compare two systems of solfege. How many great composers and performers of the past two centuries (within the conservatory tradition) studied Curwen's Sol-Fa and how many--solfeggio or solfege? I cannot even list the latter, it would take some 15 pages.

What are the advantages of moveable Do for learning serious, lagre-scale tonal works? Besides the one mentioned already ( an adult learner having difficulty grasping the concept of tonic in different keys and measuring the distances from it to mediant, subdominant, dominant, submediant and leading tone?--this it not a problem for a 5-year-old, though)? Modulation is the driving force of large-scale form; relationship of key areas is the most important element of pitch structure. How the moveable Do can help learning these aspects?

Best,

Dr. Ildar Khannanov
Professor of Music Theory
Peabody Conservatory