[Smt-talk] Posting on the list

Ninov, Dimitar N dn16 at txstate.edu
Wed Jul 25 02:03:24 PDT 2012

Dear Colleagues,

I agree that the boundary between criticism of a theoretical system, teaching method or a scholarly concept, on the one hand, and writing with an offensive tone, on the other, may be thin. It is a subject of interpretation, especially on the part of the moderator. In this regard, we must recognize the fact that the role of the moderator is complex and difficult.

Having said that, I think that critical thinking on the list must be nourished as a part of the freedom of expression. There is no need for anyone of us to feel offended "on behalf" of a concept, method, or approach. There is no need to look for occasions to feel offended. With a good and respectful tone being maintained, anyone on the list must be able to post their opinion, because the truth is born in argument.

As for the remark about "shouting", I do not think this has happened on the list. But if you open one of the last issues of a certain prestigious journal, you will probably experience the negative effect of "shouting" and offensive writing, as some writers are given green light to attack each other in  a shocking manner. I think the moderation of our list must not allow such things to happen here, but it must be liberal enough to allow critical thinking and to encourage argument. Without this option, freedom of expression would be impossible, and the tendency to hold professional discussions will be strangulated. Who knows, some people may feel content with this prospective, but I appeal to the consciousness of all participants not to allow this to happen.

Respectfully,

Dimitar

Dr. Dimitar Ninov, Lecturer
School of Music