[Smt-talk] Theory impacting performance

Charles J. Smith cjsmith at buffalo.edu
Wed Jul 4 14:27:45 PDT 2012

Likewise, a performer's claim NOT to have been influenced by theory or
theorists doesn't prove very much, one way or the other, either.

On this matter, I highly recommend Peter Westergaard's wonderful
paper, given at the Theory exploratory session of the CMS national
meeting in DC, 1976, and later published in their Symposium, "What
Theorists Do"—something everybody in this crazy profession of ours
ought to read and reread regularly.

Contents might be summarized as "We are all theorists" or perhaps "If
you're a musician, or even just a listener, you're a theorist—whether
you think you are or not". (Of course, summary is no substitute for
reading the paper...which I think I'm going to do as soon as I can
find my copy—it's been too long...)

CJS

> CAUTIONARY COMMENT:
>
> Just because a performer claims to have been influenced by  theory
> doesn't mean that they were significantly influenced by that theory
> or that their performances audibly reflect the theory !
>

> Isaac Malitz, Ph.D.
> www.OMSModel.com
> imalitz at OMSModel.com
> 818-231-3965

Charles J. Smith
Slee Chair of Music Theory & Chair of the Department
Department of Music, 220 Baird Hall
University at Buffalo
Buffalo, NY 14260
U.S.A.