[Smt-talk] Theory impacting performance

Steven Rosenhaus srosenhaus at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 4 19:40:33 PDT 2012

"We are all theorists" pretty much hits the metaphorical nail on the
head.

I've long lamented the switch to hiring folks with theory-only degrees
to teach music theory at the expense of composers, who more often than
not know the practical application of what is being discussed. And a
theorist who composes is not the same as a composer who can explain
theory/analyze music.

Perhaps I'm over-generalizing....

Steven

On Jul 4, 2012, at 5:27 PM, Charles J. Smith wrote:

> Likewise, a performer's claim NOT to have been influenced by theory
> or theorists doesn't prove very much, one way or the other, either.
>
> On this matter, I highly recommend Peter Westergaard's wonderful
> paper, given at the Theory exploratory session of the CMS national
> meeting in DC, 1976, and later published in their Symposium, "What
> Theorists Do"—something everybody in this crazy profession of ours
> ought to read and reread regularly.
>
> Contents might be summarized as "We are all theorists" or perhaps
> "If you're a musician, or even just a listener, you're a theorist—
> whether you think you are or not". (Of course, summary is no
> substitute for reading the paper...which I think I'm going to do as
> soon as I can find my copy—it's been too long...)
>
> CJS

Dr. Steven L. Rosenhaus
E-mail: srosenhaus at earthlink.net

Other:
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/lauraleon
http://www.capstonerecords.org/CPS-8716.html
http://www.capstonerecords.org/CPS-8616.html
Link to "Writing Musical Theater" by Allen Cohen and Steven L.
Rosenhaus:
http://www.palgrave-usa.com/catalog/product.aspx?isbn=1403963959&printer=yes&