[Smt-talk] Theory impacting performance

Steven Rosenhaus srosenhaus at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 5 07:16:49 PDT 2012

Dear Kris,

I hope I did not start a ruckus with my comment. I realize that it
should have been more specific. I am =not= against theory-only
degrees, or with hiring folks with them to teach theory. The problem I
have is with the attitude -- not promoted by most theorists I know but
rather by the nameless committees who determine what qualifications
are needed for a position -- that =only= people with theory degrees
should apply for such a position.

I also realize that in order to cut the number of applicants down to a
manageable number one needs to eliminate folks in some way, and it is
certainly convenient to do it this way. Still, I've seen some
brilliant folks not get past the CV submission because their degrees
were in composition or even composition/theory and they did more
professionally as composers than theorists.

I should also mention that my undergraduate degree included theory
tutelage from theorists with great understandings of how music works
and with the ability to express it. They were, with one exception,
composers.

Steven

Dr. Steven L. Rosenhaus
E-mail: srosenhaus at earthlink.net

Other:
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/lauraleon
http://www.capstonerecords.org/CPS-8716.html
http://www.capstonerecords.org/CPS-8616.html
Link to "Writing Musical Theater" by Allen Cohen and Steven L.
Rosenhaus:
http://www.palgrave-usa.com/catalog/product.aspx?isbn=1403963959&printer=yes&