[Smt-talk] Car names (William Caplin)

Fiona McAlpine fe.mcalpine at auckland.ac.nz
Tue Jul 24 23:41:26 PDT 2012

You notice that these car names are not at some deep theoretical level; they are what a small aquaintance with movement names in youthful piano students, or concert-goers, will bring. We wait in vain – or indeed trepidation – for the Secondary Dominant flitting about our roads.
More to the point is the names we don't want. I won't be buying the Prestissimo when it comes out. I'm not seriously worried however, as it has too many syllables to pass the easy-international-pronunciation rule.
Now, if we were given the opportunity to choose a name, what about Da Capo? Easy to pronounce. the old Irish famer with his horse & dray, and at the end of a jolly good night at the pub the horse carts him back home, blotto in the dray. If they could invent a car like that, I might well buy it!
(Dr) Fiona McAlpine
Honorary Research Fellow
School of Music
University of Auckland