[Smt-talk] Car names

Giorgio Sanguinetti giorgio_sanguinetti at fastwebnet.it
Sat Jul 28 00:31:29 PDT 2012

Well, BMW has strong musical connections too: many of my undergrad students think that, besides automobiles and motorcars, they also do Bach' thematic catalogue. IN addition, they have a series 3 and a series 5. they have also a controversial series 7, producing a false linear progression (7-zug) but apparently no series 8.

Giorgio

Il giorno 27/lug/2012, alle ore 15:07, Donna Doyle ha scritto:

> Yes, the 8 line is practically nonexistent and the 5 line more interesting than the 3, despite its unsupported stretch.
> Good your car goes uphill as well.
>

> Best,
> Donna Doyle
> Queens College
> Flushing, NY 11367
>

> On Jul 26, 2012, at 12:10 PM, Samarotto, Frank wrote:
>
>> We recently bought a Mazda 5, obviously a reference to scale degree numbers. We also liked the Mazda 3, and found it difficult to decide between the two. (The company does not make a Mazda 8, perhaps it should.)
>>
>> Curiously, the car does equally well uphill and downhill.
>>
>> Frank
>>
>> Frank Samarotto
>> Associate Professor of Music Theory
>> Jacobs School of Music
>> Indiana University Bloomington
>>
>> --
>>

>> On 7/23/12 12:27 PM, "William Caplin" <caplin at music.mcgill.ca> wrote:
>>
>> > What do you all make of the latest trend of Asian car manufacturers naming
>> > their cars after musical terms?
>> >
>> > We already have Hyundai's "Sonata" and "Accent" (two of my own major areas of
>> > research).  Then there's Kia's "Rondo."  And just today I read about a new
>> > electric car from China named "Coda."  (I suppose a "Cadence" can't be too far
>> > in the future.)
>> >
>> > Clearly there's a prestige factor associated with music in Asia that doesn't
>> > seem to resonate with North American or European makers.
>> >
>> > Have I missed others?
>> >
>> > Wishing you all a pleasant summer!
>> >
>> > Bill
>> >

>> > ____________________________