[Smt-talk] criterion-referenced grading

Kris Shaffer kshaffer at csuniv.edu
Mon Mar 12 17:37:24 PDT 2012

Dear Colleagues,
I've incorporated a form of criterion-referenced grading this semester for my theory and aural skills courses, and so far it seems to be an improvement from the traditional weighted-average approach. I wrote a blog post about what we're doing and things I've observed as a result. If you're interested in reading about what we're doing at CSU, or have experiences (positive or negative) with criterion-referenced grading, please visit the post and consider leaving a comment: http://kris.shaffermusic.com/wordpress/criterion-referenced-grading/.

I'm anxious to hear from others who have tried criterion-referenced grading, or some aspects of it, in music courses. Everything I've been able to find to read about it so far has been from other fields. (Though a couple aspects of what I've instituted were inspired by the way things were done when I was studying music at Lawrence and Yale.)

Best,

Kris Shaffer, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Music Theory
Charleston Southern University