[Smt-talk] Question about liberal arts graduation numbers

David Froom dfroom at smcm.edu
Tue May 1 05:29:41 PDT 2012

I have a question for those of you who teach in liberal arts colleges with full-time faculty numbers between 3 and 8.  How many BA music graduates do you have, on average?

I know the numbers are on the low side, given that most of us do so much non-major teaching.  I am requesting this because this question comes up repeatedly from my colleagues in the larger departments.

In my department (school is 2000, full-time faculty in music is 5), we graduate about 6 a year, though in any given semester we have about 15% of the student body in our department (classes, lessons, ensembles).

Thank you in advance.

David Froom
Prof. and Chair
St. Mary's College of Maryland