[Smt-talk] Theory textbooks

Ildar Khannanov solfeggio7 at yahoo.com
Tue May 1 14:57:06 PDT 2012

Dear Nicolas and the List,

I agree that it is very difficult to get the relationship between syntax
 and TSDT cycle in some RIemann's writings. I have been rereading his
Musikalische Syntaxis (Lepzig 1877). He runs circles around the topic,
but on page 75 he explains how harmony is working together with the
meter and creates syntax. He brings an example from Schumann's
Kreisleriana, Piece 5, an intermediary theme. It goes like this: S - D -
 T, while the meter is anapest (weak, stronger, strong). I read between
the lines that this is one of the most interesting examples of genesis
of tonal functions. Riemann comments that it is ultimately important
where the dissonance is placed in a measure. Here, in Schumann, it is
subdominant on the weak, dominant on the stronger, and tonic on the
strongest beat. I assume that not geometry, but interaction with meter
assigns the tonal-harmonic function to a chord. Terminal dominant in
measure 7 and terminal tonic in measure 8, for example, are the
prototypes for all other dominants and tonics in a progression.

I was trying to save Rieamann's theory from well-deserved critique by
chanelling its pathos in a different field, the field of interaction
between harmony, meter and form.

As for the problem of S - D connection, it remains a geometrical
problem, but not the problem of syntax. By the way, I quoted your
article on harmonic vectors in my book Music of Sergei Rachmaninof:
Seven Musical-Theoretical Etudes (Moscow 2011, in Russian). I think than
 you are making an invaluable contribution to the transformational
theory by adding the idea of directionality to geometry of voice
leading. You are making musically dead geometry more alive.

I studied harmony by Brigade Texbook (Moscow, 1937), which is a version
of Louis and Thuille (the same outline and similar use of concepts).
These textbooks did not hesitate to mix what you call scale-step theory
with Rameau and Riemann. The most important ingredients are:

1) to teach students hearing intervals in key and out of key. If there
is a slightest problem with that, it has to be corrected right away,
otherwise studens will fail to measure the root motions

2) to teach hearning the structure of the chord--finding its root by ear and determining its function in relationship to tonic

3) using the aural skills to place the chords in syntactic cycle of TSDT.

I think that seven tonal functions will not work. There are three, but
they self-replicate at different levels of transposition, including at
the fifth, which generates Quintenzug. Still, T S D are not vectors, but
 the forces which generate vectors and attractions. There are only three
metric-harmonic-syntactic forces. Static energy of dwelling (T), its opposite, stirring energy of
 motion (D) and the third agency which makes the progression working
only clockwise and blocks the counterclockwise motion (S). The S allows a progression to move ahead and not in reverse or back and forth. Probably, there is a weakness in Riemann's theory, or rather, its unfinished character. I hope that I am thinking in the right direction, continuing his ideas.

I do not know how to attribute this: whether it is function or
scale-degree concept. But it seems to work for the music of the 19th
century.

Best,

Ildar Khannanov

Peabody Conservatory