[Smt-talk] Music Theory Translation wiki

David Code d.loberg.code at wmich.edu
Sun May 6 06:09:31 PDT 2012

I was wondering about the viability of a Music Theory Translation Wiki; a kind of translation project for music theory symbols, terms, and concepts.
http://musictheory.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page
This would be especially helpful for international students studying at music schools in another country.  Every year at my school, we have international students with strong theory backgrounds who score poorly on entrance exams and/or struggle in their first semester of course work because of unfamiliarity with the labels we use.   It is not just a matter of different spoken languages (e.g., English, French, Korean, etc.), but different musical systems. There are, for example, dozens of different notational systems used for labeling specific types of musical chords used by different composers, music schools and text books.
The articles in this wiki would typically feature an image of a musical example representing a specific topic (e.g., chromatic harmony, rhythmic syllables). Below this contributors would add the notational symbol(s) they use to describe these features and the name of their institution. Subsequent contributors would add their institutions name to an existing section if they use the same notation or create a new section if needed. Contributors from non-English countries would be encouraged to add commentary in their native language.

david

David Loberg Code
School of Music
Western Michigan University