[Smt-talk] Music Theory Translation wiki

Nicolas Meeùs nicolas.meeus at paris-sorbonne.fr
Sun May 6 14:26:50 PDT 2012

On the one hand, I am obviously extremely aware of the problem of
translations. On the other hand, I don't think that this problem really
can be solved merely by translations: it involves a (re)definition of
the concepts themselves.
     Labeling chords is but one aspect of the problem and the concepts
behind the labels are at leas as important. Labeling a chord "IV", for
instance, really is not the same thing as labeling it "S", as recent
discussions here have made clear. And whether "II" is "Sp" or "S" is a
complex decision: Dahlhaus wrote about that, namely whether in Riemann's
functional theory one given degree (of seven) could be considered the
main representative of one given function (of three). In other words,
there is no essential reason (in Riemann) to consider that II is but a
subsidiary representative of IV and of the S function.
     Following a suggestion made here some months ago, I recently
participated in the rewriting of a first Wikipedia article about
Schenkerian theory, "Prolongation", where I claimed that the modern
American use of the term did not exactly match Schenker's own conception
(see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prolongation#Prolongation_in_Heinrich_Schenker).
I soon realized, however, that this made the further development of the
article more difficult, if only because the very title of the article,
"Prolongation", was meant in the modern American usage (see also the
commentaries to this article,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Prolongation). This is not an
insuperable problem, but it is a complex one and I fear that it cooled
down the suggestion, right in itself, that our community should get
involved with Wikipedia articles about music theory.
     In a way, such terminological discussions are easier starting from
French, in the case of Schenkerian terminology at least, because the
French usage is less formally established. I recently began a discussion
of Schekerian terminology on my Schenker blog,
http://heinrichschenker.wordpress.com/category/terminologie/, and I'd
very much like to invite criticism (or other contributions) there, also
in English. Such a blog makes sense only if it is written by more than
one person -- what, in this particular case, proves not so easy in
French today. The blog still is at an early stage and remains very open
to critical discussions; and French is not such a difficult language to
read, especially if you answer in English!

[May I add that the domain wikia.com, suggested by David for his Music
Theory Translation Wiki, seems to me unduly plagued by unwanted
commercial announcements and other Internet spams. There are enough
other offers on the web to avoid that! Also, contrarily to Wikipedia, it
does not seem to offer space for comments without modifying the existing
articles, which does not seem very satisfying.]

Nicolas Meeùs
Université Paris-Sorbonne