[Smt-talk] The "Governing tone"

Nicolas Meeùs nicolas.meeus at paris-sorbonne.fr
Fri May 4 13:35:47 PDT 2012

May I recall (as I think I already said here) that "sudominante" (i.e.
"super dominant") is the standard designation in French today, as it
probably was in the 18th century? Naming all the degrees of the scale
has been an important issue in music theory since at least the early
18th century; naming functions, or "sonorities", is a recent concern.

I think that the most important issue concerning the term "super
dominant" (instead of "submediant") is that it involves understanding
the subdominant as the degree under the dominant, not as the dominant
under the tonic. I don't know enough about early German terminology to
know how it compares to French terminology of tonal degrees, but I do
believe that the discrepancies about super- and subdominant do reflect
important differences in the conception of tonality in France and Germany.

I don't think that the etymology of mediant as "middle" is a "pseudo"
etymology. The term is one of the earliest ones to describe a scale
degree, certainly much earlier than "tonic". It denoted the intermediate
note between final and tenor in modal theory. In this context, may I
remain once again that Fétis did not use the term "subdominant" and
prefered "4th degree of the scale"?

As to the dominant as the "governing tone", I think that Momigny said
something like that early in the 19th century. Such a statement to some
extent is linked to the belief that tonality arises from the harmonic
series: if pushed to harmonic 7, the series (as usually notated) seems
to describe the dominant, not the tonic -- or in other words, the
diatonic scale of a given key is best built on its dominant. [May I had
that, in my opinion, the belief that the dominant seventh cord is formed
of harmonics 1--3--5--7 or 4--5--6--7 is but a phantasm -- or a metaphor?]

I feel that since the beginning of this thread on SMT-Talk, there is a
constant confusion between the history of theories, the origin and
history of the terms, etc., and opinions about what they "really" mean.
My own belief is that our opinions should be based on history, and that
the more you know about history, the less certain you become of your
opinion.

Yours,

Nicolas Meeùs
Université Paris-Sorbonne