[Smt-talk] Subdominant versus Predominant

Stephen Jablonsky jablonsky at optimum.net
Sun May 6 20:18:35 PDT 2012

Tonight I revisited the Franck Symphony in Dm and was reminded that all three movements end with some kind of plagal cadence. I am beginning to suspect that as music became more chromatic the subdominant's role in the harmonic narrative became increasingly important in defining the tonality. I am thinking Meistersinger Overture, Brahms Symphony II (last movement), Mahler 9 (last movement)...

On May 6, 2012, at 4:25 PM, Stephen Jablonsky wrote:

> Every time I hear a large piece of music end with a plagal cadence I grin.

Prof. Stephen Jablonsky, Ph.D.
Music Department Chair
The City College of New York
160 Convent Avenue S-72