[Smt-talk] Back to the list and free book an aural analysis

Michael Berry ttutheory at gmail.com
Mon May 14 11:47:19 PDT 2012

Hello all,

Last summer I started a project aimed at aural analysis of 20th and 21st
century music. Frustrated by "prescriptive" textbooks ("this is what you
should hear in the piece," "this is how the music is structured," or "this
piece was influenced by this piece") as well as the growing disparities
between the notes on the page and the sounds that I (and, presumably
others) hear, I attempted to create a self-leveling, listener-oriented
approach to aural analysis. My intention was to teach people how to ask
questions about the music that they hear. I also deliberately strayed from
chronological presentation and limited the information available to create
listening scenarios that are closer to real life, such as hearing a piece
on the radio for the first time with no score available.

>From the "introduction" to the site:

"This project has several unique features. First, I have put it online so
that others may benefit from it. An online source such as this also
facilitates the inclusion of multimedia, non-linear sequencing, and links
to ancillary materials. Second, rather than telling you what to listen for,
I present a series of graded questions with each composition. This allows
this site to be used by virtually anyone--from music enthusiast to graduate
student in music. The depth of each individual's answers to these questions
is the only thing that will differ from person to person: you need not be
able to read music to use this site. The reader/listener is welcome to do
as much or as little work as they see fit."

I invite you to peruse the site: http://listeningto20thcmusic.blogspot.com/
The introduction can be found here:
http://listeningto20thcmusic.blogspot.com/2011/06/introduction.html

Comments and feedback are most welcome, as are suggestions for works to be
included. I do hope to resume updating the site shortly.

Michael Berry
University of Washington Tacoma