[Smt-talk] Subdominant

Eytan Agmon agmonz at 012.net.il
Thu May 17 05:26:30 PDT 2012

This is a very interesting point, Frank, and certainly worth considering.

I have a problem, though, with the chromatic voice exchange (NOT with the
idea that IV moves to V via a “passing” I). Having this voice exchange
implies that the applied V4/3 of V (m. 5, beat 3) “exists prior” to the I of
mm. 4-5. But then, the applied chord seems “passing” from I to V in exactly
the same way that the V4/2 of m. 3, beat 3, “passes” from IV to I6 (in fact,
mm. 5-6 are essentially a transposition of 3-4).

Just a thought

Eytan Agmon

Bar-Ilan University