[Smt-talk] Subdominant

Frank Samarotto fsamarot at indiana.edu
Wed May 16 20:16:05 PDT 2012

Nicolas,

Thank you for an informative‹and delightfully continental---posting.

³Mall² makes me think of ³Promenade², and that makes me think of ³Carnaval²
(Schumann¹s, that is).

The opening Préambule steps right into a wonderfully sonorous subdominant,
so emphatic that I hear resound through the next four bars, prolonging IV
(through subsidiary functional progressions) up to the chromatic voice
exchange in m. 5 leading to the dominant. (The first 24 bars are nice little
essay in different uses of the subdominant, especially if one take the Fb
chords of the middle as representing subdominant function.) A glorious way
to step out (to a carnival, not to a mall) and to prolong a subdominant for
most of a phrase.

Thus I hear it‹or perhaps it is a crude error in judgment!

Best,
Frank

Frank Samarotto
Associate Professor of Music Theory