[Smt-talk] Subdominant

Nicolas Meeùs nicolas.meeus at paris-sorbonne.fr
Wed May 16 08:04:38 PDT 2012

Ninov,

I can reassure you: I never called a supermarket "un Mall", and I never
met a music theorist (nor anybody, for that matter) doing so around
here. We use "un supermarché" (or at times, especially in Belgium, "un
shopping centre", an obvious Anglicism). Some say "un shouk", but the
meaning is not exactly the same -- note that department stores at times
are called "Bazar" or "Bazaar". Schenker may have said "ein Kaufhaus",
or "ein Geschäft", or possibly "ayn geve'lb", but the meaning is not
exactly the same either.

Note that the word "Mall" is English in origin and has been used as
early as 1644, in John Evelyn's diary, in the meaning of "a public
walk", from the name of the game, "pall-mall", Fr. "paillemaille", from
It. "pallamaglio". I think to know that Canadian French still has "un
mail" to describe a large avenue with trees. The usage of "Mall" to
denote a commercial gallery does not seem to predate the second half of
the 20th century (perhaps beginning with the Bergen Mall, New Jersey, in
1957). As they say, "when you've seen a shop, you've seen a mall".

In any case, I don't feel that the purity of the concept is threatened
in Europe: be reassured.

Nicolas Meeùs
Université Paris-Sorbonne