[Smt-talk] Subdominant

Nicolas Meeùs nicolas.meeus at paris-sorbonne.fr
Fri May 18 00:30:48 PDT 2012

Olli, Eytan, Frank,

It seems to me that Olli's criteria are excessively "reductionist" in
that it tries to identify "points" in the score which, one supposes, are
of sufficient weight to be retained at the next level of the reduction.

Schenker describes the process as one of elaboration and, more
specifically, elaboration of a tonal space, i.e. of the disjunct spaces
between the notes of a triad, by passing notes, i.e. a conjunct voice
leading (see "Erläuterungen" in /Der Tonwille /9 or 10 or /Das
Meisterwerk /1 or 2). The identification of the elaboration therefore
passes by the identification of conjunct, or at least "fluent" lines. In
this case, there is a complete octave line in the upper voice,
Eb–F–G–Ab–Bb–C–Dn–Eb (which probably warns that the key is not Db
major), but it obviously is the 6th-line F–G–Ab–Bb–C–Dn that interests
us, supported by an almost complete  6th-line in contrary movement,
Db–C–Bb–Ab–(G)–F; these two lines form a voice exchange accompanied by a
chromatic inflection, F/Db becoming Dn/F, elaborating a IVth degree.
Embedded inside this elaboration (and at a lower level), one may see
another voice exchange, Ab–Bb–C/C–Bb–Ab, elaborating the tonic.

This leaves space (!), I think, to all three of your descriptions.

Nicolas Meeùs
Université Paris-Sorbonne

PS. One additional point that is not extremely important: Schenker
himself would have described none of this as a /Prolongation/ (the
German word, pronounce prolongatsiôn); he would have used
/Auskomponierung/, which I translate as "elaboration", to describe what
happens here. /Prolongation/ specifically denotes the extension of the
laws of strict composition to free composition (Wayne Alpern should be
able to tell us whether it is a juridic term); it is made visible in the
tables that present the levels from background to foreground, the
background being more or less strict and the subsequent levels ever
freer. /Prolongation/, in Schenker, never (that I know) refers to an
inscription of a chord in a time span.