[Smt-talk] Standard Configuration of Clausulae

Fiona McAlpine fe.mcalpine at auckland.ac.nz
Wed May 30 22:28:01 PDT 2012

Dear All,
I think this conversation needs some clarification about precisely which repertory it is addressing. As I read 'clausulae', I though about C13th discant sections or conductus repertory – which is loosely when we can say the justification imperfect-perfect was formulated. Professor Schubert's response, with its reference to Bach and perhaps a different set of theoretical objectives, appears to address a different repertory.
Thomas Noll's second scenario – F-C – involves a falling fourth, or conceivably a rising fifth, not a falling fifth.
Though I can't substantiate it in a quick email response, I don't feel that I haven't seen something like this in the C13th repertory; here's a parallel query: if there weren't something like this, why did the double-leading note cadence come in in the C14th?
& if we are indeed talking about medieval repertory, wouldn't the discussions be easier to follow if we used the medieval gamut, because then B-c
D-C
G-C (or is that gamma-C?)
becomes self-evident.
(Dr) Fiona McAlpine