[Smt-talk] the impossibility of listening

Fieldman, Hali FieldmanH at umkc.edu
Thu Nov 1 07:21:59 PDT 2012

Provocative, indeed!

Had I not wanted to understand intellectually my aural analysis, through performance and listening, of "notes interacting with each other," I would never have been drawn to music theory.  Perhaps "we" -- the music-theory community, the community of professional musicians as a whole, the community of people whose role is to act as interface between the thorny behaviors of musical elements and the tender sensibilities of our audiences — perhaps we underestimate the very power of musical sound, as well as the ability of musically-untrained people to hear such sound with great insight and clarity.

It is interesting to read the responses Rick has provoked with this post.  I hope there are wonderful, thoughtful discussions about these issues in New Orleans, and I wish I were there to hear and share.

I hope it's a wonderful conference, all.

Hali Fieldman
Associate Professor and Coordinator of Music Theory
UMKC Conservatory of Music and Dance
University of Missouri — Kansas City