[Smt-talk] useless knowledge (was: impossibility of listening...)

art samplaski agsvtp at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 4 12:24:27 PST 2012

Joel Lester wrote:

> One expression I frequently use in classes is: "I don't believe in
> useless knowledge; I only believe there are people who don't know
> how to use knowledge."

While a useful enough quote:), unfortunately there are (at least in
the U.S.) far too many people who refuse to use (their capacity for)
knowledge, and also a number of people who are determined to _MIS_use
knowledge.

   Thoroughly sick of both political rhetoric and people like the
   individual last week at the observatory who _KNEW_ she had seen
   an alien mothership, by using the remainder of her thirteen
   senses (I didn't ask if it was from the rogue planet Nibiru that

   will destroy the Earth on 21 Dec.),

Art Samplaski
Ithaca, NY