[Smt-talk] Corrections to previous mails

Olli Väisälä ovaisala at siba.fi
Sun Nov 25 23:23:27 PST 2012

Dear List,

Once again I noticed blunders in my already sent mails.

In the latest mail, I erroneously spoke of WTC II, E-minor Prelude,
instead of FUGUE. Hence this should read:

Bach, WTC II, E-minor Fugue, mm. 60–61. Here we have a rare example
of ^4^5 with implied d5–P5 succession, WITHOUT the bass providing the
^3 (VII4/3–I instead of VII4/3–I6). The effect of the fifth is
enhanced by its openness (no third at the downbeat). This is clearly
an example in which Bach deliberately deviates from norms for
creating a special memorable effect.

Yesterday, I spoke about surface fifths in WTC II, D-minor Prelude
when I meant D-MAJOR Prelude.

Sorry.

Olli Väisälä
Sibelius Academy