[Smt-talk] Fwd: the impossibility of listening

Michael Morse mwmorse at bell.net
Thu Nov 1 07:02:41 PDT 2012

  In the same gesture, Professor Malitz makes a point that is both valid and egregious. The suggestion from the Abbate/Parker quote that analyzing the note-structures of an opera can be misleading or misguided, thus eminently dispensable, is of course self-evident on one level. Analysis of any piece of music that includes text, but ignores its role(s), will become semantically one-sided, to a greater or lesser extent. Somewhat ironically, analysis of an oral tradition tune family such as the passamezzo moderno ["Amazing Grace"/Pachelbel Can{n}on/Alexandrov] bass pattern, can probably get away with ignoring the text rather better than a consideration of a Schubert song, or Wozzeck. In the latter instances, the influence of the course of the text on the course of the music is sufficiently integral and profound that a strictly "note"-based approach will border on violence to the piece as a whole.
  To the extent that Abbate/Parker are suggesting or claiming that "mere notes" are dispensable in opera analysis because it is an inextricably integral form of expression, their statement is reasonable; as far as it goes. But to suggest that analysis perforce means semantically sundering the tones from the words and the action is preposterous. We saw the quote offered here as a rationalization for not including notation; let's hope that their book doesn't take that as license to ignore music!
  But Professor Malitz also suggests that his form of analysis successfully pits "experience" against "[the] notes." Without further and very serious qualification, this is absurd. If it is true that myopic--or whatever the acoustical equivalent of "myopic" should be--forms of analysis tacitly define "the notes" as "those black thingies on the score page," the only workable conception of "the notes" is "what we experience"; or, if you will, in the case of vocal and dramatic music, "an integral part of what we experience." Save for the purposes of a limited if not trivial polemic, the contradistinction of notes and experience is flat wrong, I believe.
MW MorseTrent University