[Smt-talk] Fwd: the impossibility of listening

Craig Weston cweston at ksu.edu
Thu Nov 1 07:37:55 PDT 2012

Here's what I think some people find disturbing about the comments in
question:

They seem to assume a very minimal overlap between what relationships
we hear and perceive during the experience of listening to music, and
what relationships we discover when studying the score.

An experiential ("listenerly") analysis of Ives's The Housatonic at
Stockbridge, for example, would emphasize that we hear two very
different "teams" in the texture of this music. It is quite possibly
the most obvious thing we experience in listening to this music. But
what is it that allows/encourages us to hear the music this way? It's
all the small details (pitch/intervallic relationships, metric/
rhythmic organization, etc) that are so different in the two teams
that we actually hear them as two different kinds of music co-existing
in the same piece.

(There are some very rich river metaphors to be explored here, clearly.)

This suggests, to me, that we really do perceive and experience all of
those nitpicky details of musical relationships that we discuss when
we do close analysis of a piece. They are, in fact, the objective
correlates of our experiences of hearing the piece. To divorce either
(the objective details or the experience of hearing the music) from
the other seems extremely counterproductive, analytically, to me.

-Craig Weston

Craig Weston
Composer, Assoc. Prof. of Music
Chair, Theory/History/Composition division
School of Music, Theatre, and Dance
Kansas State University